Okay. Who absolutely loved the season premiere of Who Do You Think You Are last Friday night? Yeah. I know. I'm a wee biased, but I think this was the best one yet. It certainly was the first time I watched one with other genealogists. In the same room. What a difference that made. I was privileged to watch it with some awesome genealogy friends at the historic Peery Hotel in Salt Lake City. The bartender freely gave up the remote to the T.V. and we pretty much had the run of the place. WOW!
But not only was the company outstanding, but so was the show. Martin Sheen's story was fascinating, and it was interesting how they touched upon two different parts of his tree ~ the Irish and the Spanish. It was even more fascinating to see how Martin Sheen's life paralleled his ancestors' lives when it comes to activism.
I also think it was interesting to see that his ancestors' stories weren't so pretty and perfect and that their journey had, indeed, been very hard.
It doesn't matter who you are. Celebrity or everyday folk. Alive or dead. We're all alike when it comes to having a family story. A real family story chock full of the good times and the bad. Trials and jubilation. Tears and smiles.
The common thread through all of our ancestors' stories is their perseverance, which leads us each into our own family stories.
Following are a highlight clip and 2 deleted scenes from Martin Sheen's episode. Enjoy.
Who Do You Think You Are is back for a 3rd season and will premier this Friday, February 3 at 8/7c on NBC. Martin Sheen will lead off the series and other celebrities we've got lined up include Marissa Tomei, Blair Underwood, Helen Hunt, Jerome Bettis, Robb Lowe, and Paula Deen among others. Be sure to tune-in and see what each of our celebrities learns about their family history! We guarantee lots for surprises too. Check out the WDYTYA site here. In conjunction with Season 3, Ancestry.com is running a Sweepstakes where 3 Grand Prize winners will win a trip of a lifetime to uncover their own family history valued at $10,000! The Sweepstakes includes a trip to the winner's homeland to explore their family roots, round-trip airfare for two, hotel and $2,000 in cash, plus a 6-month Ancestry.com World Explorer membership and an Ancestry.com DNA test to discover their genetic ethnicity. 20 First Prize winners will receive a 6-month Ancestry.com World Explorer membership.##########
So click below to enter!
This just in from Ancestry.com:
~Caroline[Note: Because I am an affililate of Ancestry.com, when Sweepstakes registrants who decide to become full subscribers to Ancestry.com
within 120 days of the initial entry, I receive a referral commission fee. Also, with any Ancestry.com links or images with links that you click and then with a purchase from Ancestry, I may receive a referral fee. For more disclosure information, please visit my Disclosure Page
Please feel free to share this blog post. Go on. Don't be shy. =)
It's always awesome to see someone wowed by their family's history.
I agree with Reba, "This is really cool."
And I agree with Martin Sheen that if our family history was written in a novel, it would be hard to believe.
But isn't it incredible that we can discover that it is true?
Season 3 of NBC's Who Do You Think You Are
begins Friday, February 3rd. 8pm ET / 7pm CT. The last I heard the first episode will be featuring Martin Sheen. So, come see where your favorite celebs came from, and maybe get inspired to find out where you came from. Or not. It's up to you. ;)~CarolineNote: I am an affiliate with Ancestry.com, who is a sponsor of NBC's Who Do You Think You Are. For more disclosure information please visit my Disclosure Page.
Please feel free to share this blog post. Thanks!
Genealogy is Back in PrimetimeI mentioned in my previous post that watching the 3rd Season Premier of NBC's Who Do You Think You Are? makes a good reason for you to go to Rootstech
. However, even if you can't make it, you can watch the season premier on Friday, Feb 3rd at 8 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. CT.3rd Season's Lineup
I'm really excited about this lineup!
- Martin Sheen
- Marisa Tomei
- Blair Underwood
- Reba McEntire
- Rob Lowe
- Helen Hunt
- Rita Wilson
- Edie Falco
- Rashida Jones
- Jerome Bettis
- Jason Sudeikis
- Paula Deen
- I'm a big fan of Martin Sheen's work. I do know his real last name is Estevez and I know who his sons are. It'll be interesting to see if we'll be learning more about his Irish roots or his Spanish roots. Either way, this will definitely be a winning episode.
- I LOVE Marisa Tomei. She tends to play such sassy characters, and for some reason, I like that. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that they'll uncover her Italian roots, which is good. The closest I ever get to Italian research is passing by the Italian section at Clayton Library and eating Italian food. I think I'm gonna have to serve Italian food for dinner that night. You know, to get in the mood. [And? Marisa Tomei was in the movie Somebody Like You with Ashley Judd, who appeared in the 2nd season of Who Do You Think You Are?.]
- Another great actor that I admire is Blair Underwood. I remember him in L.A. Law. [See how brave I am for revealing that? Goodness, I'm old.] And while I'm a fan of his work, I know nothing about him personally. Therefore, I can't wait to see what his family tree climbing reveals.
- And Reba McEntire? I'm a definite fan of her, and once upon a time, I read her autobiography and loved it. So, I can't wait to see this Oklahoman country music crooner's roots. Will definitely put on some Reba music that night in prep for the show.
- Rob Lowe's posters once graced my bedroom's walls back in the day. I know who his brother is and his parents because I remember reading about them in Tiger Beat Magazine right before I tore his and his brother's pics out to put on my walls. So, I think I'll enjoy looking at Rob Lowe that Friday night. Oops, I mean watching Rob Lowe climb his family tree in this episode. <grin> Wonder if I saved any of those posters and where would they be? Maybe I should look to St. Elmo's Fire to lead the way. [I know. *Groan*]
- I can't think of a t.v. show or movie that Helen Hunt has appeared in that I'm not mad about. Seriously. However, I know nothing about her personal life. So. Where will the hunt for her roots begin and lead to? [*wink*]
- And speaking of Helen Hunt, do you remember that she co-starred in the movie Cast Away with Tom Hanks? Remember Wilson the volleyball and dear friend of Tom Hank's character in the movie? Well, Tom Hank's very beautiful and talented wife, Rita Wilson, will be climbing her family tree as well. [Can I make connections, or what?] I'm looking forward to the climb even though I don't know a thing about her family. In fact, it's pretty much Greek to me. [Um, that's a hint.]
- Loved Edie Falco in the Sopranos, and her character certainly put up with a lotta crap from her mob boss husband, Tony. It'll be interesting to see which branch she climbs in this episode. I mean, for dinner do I serve Italian food again or perhaps, oh I dunno, Swedish Meatballs? Oooh. Maybe I'll serve both!
- My daughter and I love the t.v. show The Office which Rashida Jones appears in. I'm not familiar with her personal life. However, a quick look at her bio tells me that perhaps we might watching her climb an African, Irish, or Russian branch of her family tree. Can't wait to find out which one!
- I am, among other things, a Steelers fan, and I'm thrilled to see Jerome Bettis on this season's lineup. Can't wait to see what his family tree climb reveals.
- Okay. While Jason Sudeikis' name didn't ring any bells for me, a quick look at his bio tells me that, duh, he's, like, everywhere. And? He has a long list of celebrity impressions that he can do. So. I've seen him, and he's most certainly made me laugh more than once. What his bio doesn't reveal is his ancestry. However, he IS the nephew of George Wendt. You know, Norm from my absolute most favorite t.v. show of all time, Cheers? [Oh gawd. I'm old.] So, it looks like Jason gets his funny bone from the family tree. Will definitely watch some episodes of Cheers from Netflix to help me get in the mood for Jason's climbing the family tree episode. [Like I need a reason to watch Cheers. *rolling eyes heavenward* ]
- Speaking of food, Paula Deen will be featured in this 3rd season. [Yes, we were talking of food. Remember that Cheers episode where Norm is eating Cheetos and complains about 'Cheeto fingers'? And remember how Norm loved to eat at The Hungry Heifer? So there.] I LOVE Paula Deen. I liked her Facebook page and I signed up for her email subscription mail list for recipes. And I've even made some of her dishes. So, it'll be fun to see if her cookin' is passed down and from what branch. I'm gonna have to make Paula Deen dishes that night to get ready for her episode. YUM! Down home Southern cookin'. Can't. Wait.
So. Can you tell I'm excited about this season's lineup? Which episode are you looking the MOST forward to seeing? And what are you gonna do to prep yourself for the show? I think it'd be cool to do some episode-related cooking. Who's with me on this?
Take a look at the complete press release from NBC on the Who Do You Think You Are? 3rd Season Premier
.~CarolineNote: I am an ad affiliate of
Ancestry.com, which sponsors NBC's Who Do You Think You Are?
series. Please visit my Disclosure Page
for more information on my disclosures with vendors.
A deleted scene, Walking Across History
, from Lionel Richie's episode from Season 2. Watch more deleted scenes from past episodes on NBC's Who Do You Think You Are?'s website