"Why should I go?" you might ask. "Give me 10 good reasons I should go, Caroline. And I said good."
Okay. I'll give you 10 good reasons you should attend Rootstech 2012:
- To attend all the great lectures that are on the schedule that will be given by even greater speakers. Learn genealogy research tips, research strategies, be entertained, and tackle that word, 'technology'.
- Speaking of technology, learn how technology can help you in your research and learn which technology is best for you and your situation.
- Get out of cooking, cleaning your house, and doing the laundry. [Seriously? This needs no further explanation.]
- Score: Brick walls, 150. You, 4-1/2? Take a well-deserved break so that you can go back to your brick walls with a sledgehammer. Stop thinking about beating them down. Come learn how to beat them down then go back home and do it.
- Get away from your family. Yes, it's ironic. We research family. The dead ones drive us nuts, but so do the living ones. They don't want to listen to our stories about the dead ones. They look at us as if we're crazy. [And they're probably right. Normal people don't usually talk to dead people and get mad at them.] But sometimes you need to take a break, recharge those batteries, and meet folks like yourself who want to listen to your romps through your family tree. Then after getting it out of your system, you go back rejuvenated for your family.
- Remember all that fuss about book vendors? Yeah. Come support them. Buy a book.
- To watch the season premiere of NBC's Who Do You Think You Are? with a bunch of genealogists. [Can you just see that?]
- Meet the vendors of all these companies you see advertised all over the place on the internet. Ask them questions. They want to meet and talk to you. [Plus, quite a few of them give stuff away and some even have free chocolates on their booth table. Chocolate, anyone? Calories don't exist at Rootstech. Did you know that?]
- To go to the Family History Library! Come see where all that microfilm you order comes from. Perform research. Wallow in its genealogy-ness. And I promise you there won't be anyone telling you that you're spending too much time in the library, asking you what's for dinner, or telling you that they just aren't going to go into that library. Nope. You're gonna be around genealogists. Folks just like you. [How do you like them apples?]
- If you live in a warmer climate, come to Rootstech for a change of weather. Cooler weather. I've looked at the 10-day forecast on Weather.com and I've checked their monthly weather planner. It indicates the high's average in the low 40s and the lows average in the high 20s during Rootstech. For some, that would be a refreshing change of pace. So, there's that.
So. There you go. My 10 good reasons why you should go to Rootstech. It's not to late to register. Visit Rootstech2012's website for more details about registering and the speaker schedule. I'm going. Will I see you there? [Psst. They have a special right now on registration, $149. After Friday, 13 Jan 2012, it will go back up to the regular price of $189.]
Note: I am in no way affiliated with Rootstech or FamilySearch.org. I just think we're gonna have a good time, and I'd like to see you there.